Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Feature: Video Blogger + Fashionista, Ashton Whittington

My mom always taught me to look my best at all times, but sometimes I just don't give a sh*t. I truly admire those who are always on-point at all times. Hair, makeup, nails, and outfit-- all cohesive and put together even at six o'clock in the morning! This week's Friday Feature motivates me in so many ways in presenting my best self. Video blogging sensation, Ashton Whittington, puts everyone's style game to shame! With thousands of subscribers to her YouTube channel, Ashton's Closet, she has attended fashion schools such as FIDM in San Francisco and sure knows a thing or two when it comes to fashion and beauty.

Scroll down for style shots, video and an exclusive Friday Feature interview with Pumps and Lipstick on my fashionista friend and enchanting beauty, Ashton Whittington:












Xiomara: When did your love for fashion begin?

Ashton: I honestly believe I was born with my passion for fashion. I could remember when I was 2 or 3 years old begging my mom for the Punky Brewster shoes with the curly shoe strings. At 3, I would pick out my clothes and lay them out every night before I went to bed. It was like a new fashion show for me everyday at pre-school. It wasn't a game for me, I took it extremely serious. I was a really good girl. The only time I ever got out of line or was ever demanding was when it had to do with shoes or clothes that I had to have.

Xiomara: Favorite prints and colors?

Ashton: Leopard will always be one of my favorite prints...I'm so picky when it comes to the color, tone and texture of it though. It has to have all the right variables for me wear it, or decorate with it. My favorite colors are black, white, gold and silver. If I had to chose one, hands down... black. I wear black everyday, it's my go to color. Its classic, mysterious, and can be intimidating when worn all together. So when anyone is confused on what to wear, my advice is to try all black...You can never wrong.

Xiomara: Describe your style. Who are your favorite, all-time fashion icons?

Ashton: I would say my style is very edgy. It's very glamor chic meets urban-boho chic. It's kind of over the top, yet tasteful. My fashion icons currently are Mary-Kate Olsen and Rachel Zoe. I remember always admiring Mary-Kate's style. We are both the same age, and I just remember when we were 18 in 2005 how mature she dressed then. She's always had this throw it on old grunge glamor look that I love. She still wears a bunch of things that I wouldn't wear necessarily together but I appreciate her style overall and love her look.

Xiomara: Top style do's and dont's that you'll never ever break?

Ashton: That's a good question... Everything changes. I can't say that I'd ever keep the same rule throughout my life. Style knows no limits.

Xiomara: What inspired you to start vlogging?

Ashton: A friend of mine always told me that I should vlogg. At the time I knew nothing about it, so I always declined. It wasn't until I moved to NY that I sat in my room and started trying on outfits for the camera. I was a personal shopper at the time so I was constantly searching for clothes. I didn't realize how much I actually enjoyed talking bout fashion. I usually talk to my girlfriends or my clients, and trust me I can talk their ears off! But never did I just talk to myself, the camera. It was a new way for me to vent, to get all my words and feelings out, I LOVED it! It wasn't until I started vlogging that I really narrowed down my lane and my place in the fashion world.

Xiomara: How does the video creation process work?

Ashton: Depending on the type of video I'm filming, they vary in which each have different steps. In a nutshell...I film the footage, import it to my computer, edit it and then upload it. This can and does take several hours. The hardest part is the editing, it literally kicks my butt every time! Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a stickler when it comes editing, I just know what I like and hate what I don't.

Xiomara: What are some of your top beauty products and regimens?

Ashton: My top beauty products I would hate to live without 1. concealer 2. natural lip liner 3. bronzer. A daily regimen? Using witch hazel daily! It's the best natural astringent anyone could ever use. I apply it with a cotton ball after I wash my face and it still manages to pick up anything left over on my face. It's good for healing bug bites and blemishes as well. If you haven't tried it, you should! It's like $2 at any drugstore or Walmart.

Xiomara: Throughout the years, how has your personal style changed?

Ashton: I would say about 4-5 years ago my style was very, very sexy. That's what was in at the time. I'm talking 2006 - 2008ish... Dresses were short and extremely tight, neck lines were plunged, colors were loud and over the top. I feel like my style has not only toned down, but has also become more refined. My style has not dramatically changed, it's just that I dress a tad more mature. I now wear my clothes, my clothes don't wear me. Thank God!

Xiomara: As an online video sensation, what are some of your goals and aspirations for Ashton's Closet?
 
Ashton: I plan to continue to do what I love, while one day soon hopefully inspiring hundreds of thousands of people to also express themselves. I know this is what I was put here to do, and I will continue to strive until I am at that point or beyond.

Xiomara: Favorite quote you live by?

Ashton: "Everything happens for a reason." This quote helps me with situations daily! I can easily get caught up on "coulda, shoulda, woulda's" ... I often have to say this quote out loud for me to be able to swallow a situation for what it is, stop the dwelling, and move on. I genuinely believe everything happens for a reason.

[END]


That wraps up this week's Friday Feature. Stay tuned for more. Subscribe to Ashton's Closet and stalk her on Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment