Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday Motivation: Attack Your 2014 Goals With a Plan


Happy 2014! I hope everyone's holiday season was amazing and filled with lots of love, joy, and laughter. Didn't it seem to pass by really fast? Like, there was so much commotion before the holidays with all the crazy sales, white elephant and ugly sweater parties, and Christmas dinners? And then boom, it's the December 26th and everything is done? Yeah, that's how I felt.

Anyway, now with the new year in full speed, it's new years resolution time, right? Really, we can make resolutions any time we please, but the new year makes it much more exciting and motivating. So, I've started drafting my 'official' list of goals I will accomplish (notice my word choice there), and I noticed one major thing: I needed a plan. This is why most new years resolutions, or goals for that matter, don't get accomplished-- because there's no plan of attack! How are we going to set a goal, but not have a way to get there? We must make a plan.

For instance, one of my goals is to read one book per month. My main excuse is that I 'didn't have enough time', which is complete BS because I definitely had enough time to watch Scandal, Real Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, etc. Ultimately, I found productive free time while I'm commuting to SF every day-- duh! I found while I'm on BART or casual carpool, I have 15 minutes each way to dedicate to reading. That's at least 30 minutes of reading each day for 5 days a week. Surely I can finish one book per month.

So when you look at your list of things you will do this year, ask yourself how you're going to get there because that is your ticket for accomplishing your goals. For a plan of attack for goal setting and accomplishing, I really enjoyed Refinery29's post by Gretchen Rubin. Click here to kick 2014's ass.


No comments:

Post a Comment